All About Asti
My name is Asti and I’m a twenty-something year old bookish nerd.
Here’s my bookish proof (if you need it):
- I attended Kingston University to pursue a Publishing MA in 2014.
- Prior to deciding to pursue publishing as a career, I wanted to work in elementary education as a reading specialist.
- I completed numerous work placements with publishing companies while in London, including Random House Children’s Publishers, Little, Brown, Bloomsbury Children’s and The Orion Publishing Group.
- I started a book blog, A Bookish Heart, on 2 March 2013 where I reviewed books, led interesting bookish discussions, moderated games based off of books I have read and shared book-related finds. I still do all of that stuff, but on this group blog instead.
- The only gifts I tend to request for holidays or birthdays are clothes and (you guessed it) books.
- Even when I moved to London and knew I might have to leave after a year there, I still acquired over 80 books. It made moving back to the States just a little more difficult than I wanted.
- I tend to carry a book with me everywhere I go. (My number one criteria for buying a purse is whether or not I can fit a book inside it.)
Of course, I do have a (little bit of a) life outside of books.
Here are some other random tidbits about me:
- My name is pronounced Ah-stee, though I will respond to Ass-tea if I have to.
- I was born and raised in Indiana, but lived in London for a year (2014).
- I met my fiancé on an online game that involved puzzles and pirates. We’ve been together for five years.
- The last time I wore make-up was for my junior year prom, and a drag queen put it on for me. (Update: I did go through a month-long phase of wearing make-up (put on by myself even!) in November 2014, but quickly gave it up because I’m lazy and it’s expensive.)
- I love going to the movies. Growing up in Indiana, it was pretty much my only option for entertainment. My friends and I went through a phase of seeing a movie every Friday after school.
- I used to be “goth”. I dyed my hair black and wore black clothes. It made me realize how hurtful people can be to those who choose to be different, no matter what their age.
- I’m a bit of a perfectionist. Sometimes I have the desire to write a book, but then after writing two lines and deleting them all in a “that’s not good enough” rage, I realize that’s probably not an option for me.
- Reality television is my guilty pleasure. I love love love it.
- I’m addicted to chocolate. It’s the way to my heart.
- I have many strange quirks. It’s so bad, that Josephine once created the Twitter hashtag #TheQuirksofAsti for me.
- If I could go back and change one thing about my childhood, it would be for me to continue dance lessons. I took jazz and ballet as a kid, but eventually had to stop due to the cost. I miss it. (Oh, and alcohol makes me want to dance like a crazy fool. I just can’t help it.)
- It only happens rarely these days, but if I think something is really funny I squeak when I laugh.
- Throughout my life I’ve played keyboards, violin, trombone, and bass guitar. I even formed a cover band for my sixteenth birthday party called The Skantalopes.
If you still want more, here is my blogging resume:
- My previous blog, A Bookish Heart, was live from March 2013 to February 2014. During that time it accumulated over 500 followers and 12,000 + comments.
- I was nominated for many awards during my time with A Bookish Heart, including Winner of the Best Breakout Blog 2013, Illuminating Blogger Award, Very Inspiring Blogger Award, Liebster Award, The Versatile Blogger Award, The Super Sweet Blogging Award, Shine On Award and One Lovely Blog Award.
- On other blogs, my blog and I were featured at Cuddlebuggery, Novel Heartbeat, The Book Addict’s Guide, Ink Skies, The Paper Sea, Adrift on Vulcan, Crazy Red Pen, Paper Riot, and Mab is Mab.
- I’ve also participated as a Recaptains Sidekick, completing recaps for Daughter of Smoke and Bone, Divergent, Twilight and Grave Mercy.
- Sometimes I also visit other blogs to do guest posts, such as the “I Want My Mummy” for Books for a Delicate Eternity, or “Raven Boys Meet Boy Band” for Word Revel
- You can now find me blogging at atypicalnarrative, a (life + stories + art) blog launched in February 2017.
For your other stalking needs:
You can find me on Goodreads, Twitter, and Instagram. I also occasionally use my new blog’s Pinterest and Facebook accounts. Or, if you want to reach out to me directly you can use this handy dandy atypicalnarrative contact form and I’ll get back to you through my private email address.
Last updated: 19 January 2017