2014 Reading Stats
- Number Of Books You Read: 130
- Books: 74
- Novellas: 9
- Short Stories: 7
- Comics/Manga: 15
- Audiobooks: 25
- Number of Re-Reads: 3
- Genre You Read The Most From: probably fantasy (as usual)
Best In Books
1. Best Book You Read In 2014?
This is a really difficult choice, because I actually had a lot of 5-star reads this year. BUT. I think I’m going to have to go with The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson.
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Would Love More But Didn’t?
Probably Lark Ascending. I liked it, but I was hoping it’d be at least 4 stars for me.
3. Most surprising (in a good way!) book you read in 2014?
That’d be Sorrow’s Knot by Erin Bow! I almost passed it by because the cover/description just didn’t reel me in, but it ended up being one of my favorite books EVER!
4. Book you “pushed” the most people to read (and they did) in 2014?
Ummm, definitely The Way of Kings! Although, it might have only been a few people, but that totally counts! I don’t think I do a lot of true book pushing.
5. Best series you started in 2014? Best Sequel of 2014? Best Series Ender of 2014?
- Best series I started in 2014: The Stormlight Archive by Brandon Sanderson!
- Best sequel: Blue Lily, Lily Blue, but also Words of Radiance!
- Best series ender: Oh gosh, that’s hard. Dreams of Gods as Monsters. Or Mortal Heart!
6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2014?
Definitely Erin Bow. Hands down.
7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone?
The Truth About Alice by Jen Mathieu. I don’t really like a lot of contemporary books, but I really enjoyed this one.
8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?
That would be Lexicon! I just wanted to keep driving so I could keep listening to the audiobook!
9. Book You Read In 2014 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
As you can see — *ahem* — I’m not too big on the rereading. Soooo… None of them? xD
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2014?
I’m going to cheat and do my top 5 favorites:
11. Most memorable character in 2014?
Ack, this is kinda hard because, like Asti, I have pretty horrible book amnesia. I’m going to say… Shallan from The Stormlight Archive series, because I think she’s a lot like me.
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2014?
Sorrow’s Knot wins this prize. *wistful sigh*
13. Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2014?
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2014 to finally read?
Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld. In fact, why did I wait so long to read ANYTHING from Scott Westerfeld?! What is WRONG WITH ME.
15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2014?
I highlighted quite a few gems in The Way of Kings, but since I have to choose one here, how about this one:
A woman wanting to come to the battlefield was like…well, like a man wanting to read. Unnatural.
Oh, I laughed out loud at that one. ;D
16. Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2014?
17. Book That Shocked You The Most
Hmmm, The Mime Order! (And Also Attack on Titan!)
18. OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!)
Cress and Thorne from The Lunar Chronicles!
19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year
I think this might be — SHOCKING! — Mara and Jamie from The Retribution of Mara Dyer. I really enjoyed their banter, and the way they supported and understood one another’s darker sides.
20. Favorite Book You Read in 2014 From An Author You’ve Read Previously
21. Best Book You Read In 2014 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure:
The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale. I probably would never have picked this up if it hadn’t been a book club assignment, but I absolutely loved it!
22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2014?
I don’t really DO fictional crushes, but the Krampus from Holly Black’s short story in My True Love Gave to Me was pretty hot. Also, Balthazar from Mortal Heart.
23. Best 2014 debut you read?
Oof, another tricky one. I read several great debuts this year. But, I think I’ll have to go with The Glass Sentence here.
24. Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year?
25. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read?
Definitely Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld. LOVED the imagination in that book!
26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2014?
Hmm, I can’t actually recall many books making me cry this year. Maybe Rose Under Fire?
27. Hidden Gem Of The Year?
The Fire Wish! This was a great debut, really different, and wonderfully narrated on audio!
28. Book That Crushed Your Soul?
29. Most Unique Book You Read In 2014?
30. Book That Made You The Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)?
Ahem… The Murder Complex. >_<
~Bonus Tarot Interlude~
Just for funzies, I did a tarot reading with my new Shadowhunter tarot deck, to discuss my bookish life for the end of 2014. This is how it went down…
My End of Year Bookish Tarot Reading
Your Blogging/Bookish Life
1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2014?
I don’t know if I met her in 2014 or earlier, but I’ve really enjoyed Kayla’s blog, The Thousand Lives, this year!
2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2014?
Probably my review for Blue Lily, Lily Blue.
3. Best discussion/non-review post you had on your blog?
I really appreciated all of the discussions, comments, and feedback I got on my post about when all your lives start to blend together.
4. Most thought-provoking review or discussion you read on somebody else’s blog?
I have been really bad at engaging in discussions on blogs this year, but I know I’ve come across a ton of great discussions out there. So I’m going to have to take the easy way out here and say that it’s likely buried in the links of one of our Weekly Recaps.
5. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?
I really enjoyed Teen Book Con this year. They always put on an amazing event, and the authors this year were top notch!
6. Best moment of bookish/blogging life in 2014?
7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?
As of filling out this survey, here’s what I’ve got:
- Most popular by views (my post): My review of I Am Pusheen the Cat
- Most popular by views (blog-wide): Asti’s YA Sci-Fi Periodic Table
- Most popular by comments (my post): My YA Fantasy Heroine Archetype quiz
- Most popular by comments (blog-wide): Our Grand Opening post
Note: I excluded all Bookish Games posts (as well my Game of Thrones rant) because the stats on those are obviously different.
8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?
My my mini reviews and discussion about books dealing with synesthesia.
9. Best bookish discovery (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?
I don’t know! Surely I’ve made some bookish discoveries this year, but I can’t think of anything interesting to put here. :(
10. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?
Why, yes I did!
- I exceeded my Goodreads goal of 52 books.
- I completed the Debut Author Challenge.
- I completed the Standalone Reading Challenge.
- I completed my 2014 Book Bingo Challenge.
- I completed Anne & Kristilyn’s Book Bingo Challenge.
- I completed the 2014 Sci-Fi Experience.
- I completed the 2014 Series Challenge.
(You can see all of my reading challenge progress from 2014 on this page.)
1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2014 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2015?
I have quote a few of those, but most notably and most SOON: Ruin and Rising!
2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2015 (non-debut)?
Winter — the end of The Lunar Chronicles! Gosh, I’m excited and scared at the same time.
3. 2015 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?
Well, I don’t know if I’ll be DOING debuts in 2015 (sad, I know), but The Red Queen looks fascinating!
4. Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2015?
Yeah, um, WINTER. :D
5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life In 2015?
Finish and/or catch up on ALL the series I’m reading already!