News & Updates at Oh, the Books!
In Case You Missed It
Since Leanne is on hiatus for a while, you’ll be seeing a bit more of Kelley and Asti!
- Kelley shared her unpopular opinions about The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer.
- Asti shared her latest Bookish Find: Terry Border’s Bent Objects.
- Asti shared her experience with LGBT YA.
- Kelley went on to share her unpopular opinions about The Evolution of Mara Dyer.
- Kelley explored tarot (sort of) with Mara Dyer.
- Day 3 of The Bookish Games Divergent Edition began!
In other news
- Kelley created a new Lexicon! This time, unfamiliar and fae terms in The Falconer.
- Kelley was featured on A Book and a Beverage, over at The Book Addict’s Guide!
Our Lives This Week
[stextbox id=”asti2″ caption=”Asti” collapsing=”true”]Hmm… not too much to report here! Now that my placement is done it’s all about finishing assessments for me. Over the next two weeks I have five assessments due! (Ridiculous.) Luckily, I have completed two so far so I’m making progress. But yeah… if I don’t respond to comments anytime soon, you know why!
Aside from stressing with assessments, it’s been nice to just sort of stay home this past week. Sometimes nothing can beat staying in your pjs and wasting hours on the interwebz…[/stextbox]
[stextbox id=”kelley2″ caption=”Kelley” collapsing=”true”]Welp. What IS my life? Here, let me just… Here’s some pictures. and tweets.
— Oh, the Kelley! (@anovelread) April 14, 2014
— Oh, the Kelley! (@anovelread) April 16, 2014
Elsewhere in the blogosphere
Tweet of the Week
Food time! pic.twitter.com/Pia9pkPaDf
— Emergency Kittens (@EmrgencyKittens) April 16, 2014
On Blogging and Book Reviewing
- Kelly offers tips for conquering a blogging/reading slump.
- Ashley answers: is it okay to review books from different age groups on the same blog?
- Carrie explains how not to criticize a book reviewer.
- Ashley shares the results from her Nose Graze reader survey.
- Ashley explains why she doesn’t post more blog tips for Blogger.
- Ashley challenges you to clean up your tags/labels.
- Jeann shares her Publisher Q&A for bloggers and reviewers.
- Ellie talks about changing ratings.
- Liza and Arianne discuss how blogging has changed the way they read.
- Josephine explains why you should engage with book blogs and bloggers.
- Lili warns against letting the memes eat you alive.
- Jessica needs help overcoming blogger guilt.
- Liza and Arianne share what’s been good and what needs improvement with their co-blogging.
- Jamie is trying not to succumb to the pressure of reading all the books.
- Anya shares eight ways in which book blogging is like grad school.
- Ashley explains how to create dynamic featured images for WordPress.
- Rachel encourages bloggers to get creative.
- Chuck Wendig has 10 things he’d like to say to young writers.
- Amie Kaufman takes us behind the scenes to show us how copy edits work.
Things Bookworms Think About
- Charlotte wants to discuss the abundance of gender-neutral covers.
- Dennis wonders why celebrities think they can write children’s books.
- Brittany wants to know if a series ending affects your overall opinion.
- Kelly compares a bunch of YA covers that use the same stock photo.
- Ceilidhann wonders if the Fallen movie can succeed.
- Kelly has a fantastic post on expectations for girls in YA fiction, misleading reviews, and sexuality. (The comments are worth reading, too.)
- Jamie is doing her best not to let herself drown in books.
- Yvonne Ventresca stops by YA Highway to discuss characters on the autism spectrum.
- Miranda wonders if you take notes while reading.
- Topaz compares ebooks vs. physical books.
- Daniel says Don’t Blame the Internet: We Can Still Think and Read Critically, We Just Don’t Want to.
- If you like long reads, how about The Business of Books: A Reading List.
- Pam wants to know how you read series: binge reading or with breaks?
- Kristilyn talks about the “outsiders” in YA.
- Ana admits she’s sometimes scared to start the next book.
- Emily has written a follow up post about what morals books are promoting.
- Angela wonders if the internet ruins finishing a series.
- Pamela talks about her favorite change in the book world.
- Mel shares her progress on tackling series.
- Stormy discusses Full Fathom Five and Supporting Authors.
- Hazel shares why she loves active reading.
- Lili talks about reading reviews before the book comes out.
- Ashley discusses how she chooses books.
- Nikki wants to know if you ever boycott books.
- Carrie discusses reading slumps.
- Sophia says reading in public is awkward.
- Holly shares how she discovered the world of YA.
- Amanda talks about how reading ‘too many’ books has changed her.
National Library Week
- Here are 5 good reasons to take your kids to the library.
- Lindsey shares her experience with that scary place called the library.
- Angela shares a list of reasons why she loves libraries.
- Here’s a quiz to find out if you’re smart enough to be friends with Hermione (apparently Hermione wants to hang out with Kelley!)
- Holy shit, you guys, YOU CAN NOW ENROLL IN HOGWARTS WHAT ARE YOU STILL DOING HERE.
- The folks at Epic Reads have a list of 17 YA sisters they love.
- Kelly’s back with yet another cover guessing game!
- You know you want to see photos from Ransom Riggs’ and Tahereh Mafi’s very stylish, very bookish wedding!
- Here’s a quiz to find out how much of a book addict you are (apparently, Kelley has “an extreme reading problem”)
- Cait shares YA authors who has animated look-a-likes!
- GillyB has baked Percy Jackson cupcakes.
- The Broke and The Bookish share their favorite quotes about reading or books.
- Judith explains how to Dutch using the Harry Potter series.
- Kat Zhang waxes poetic about art and how it speaks to us.
- Gene asks: is art selfish?
- Ellen answers: how do I get my family to appreciate my art?
- The Belle Jar on being useful.
- BBC has a fascinating article about a 13-year-old Mongolian girl who hunts with a golden eagle.
- Photographer Nicolas Bruno turned his terrifying dreams into photographs.
Videos of the Week
- Have you seen the new trailer for the Gone Girl movie?
- How about the trailer for the If I Stay movie that everyone’s crying about?
- Kelley’s husband watched this video and then said: “So THAT’s what tumblr is!”
- Here’s how Frozen should have ended, apparently.
Question of the Week
Kelley usually does this section of the recap, but she’s currently on a camping trip, and Leanne is on hiatus soooo… I guess you’re stuck with me! What should I ask about? Oh the pressure! I know, this weekend is a holiday…
Did you have any special plans for the easter holiday? Any fun family traditions?
So, how was your week?