News & Updates at Oh, the Books!
In Case You Missed It
Here’s all the stuff that we posted this week.
- Kelley shared her experience writing in the margins of a book.
- Asti announced that she’s breaking up with some features.
- Kelley reviewed Words of Radiance by Brandon Sanderson.
- Asti reviewed When Mr. Dog Bites by Brian Conaghan.
- Katelynn stopped by to talk about series marathons.
- Day 7 of The Bookish Games: Death Note Edition began.
And in other news… Kelley also finished her lexicon for Citadel of the Autarch (finally)!
Our Lives This Week
[stextbox id=”asti2″ caption=”Asti” collapsing=”true”]Hello lovely people! What can I say about this week? Well, I’m feeling like myself again. I don’t know what it means that the second I break out of my routine of staying home everyday and working on my dissertation and blogging that I suddenly crash and burn, but it is what it is. I will have to learn to cope with it eventually.
The only really traumatic thing that happened for me this week was A GIANT SPIDER on the wall next to the stairs at Dave’s house. You see, growing up I’ve never really had to deal with spiders because my Dad doesn’t like them and kills them off. But at Dave’s? No! They all treat them as friendly little pets, and they’re EVERYWHERE. If I see them, I have to yell at Dave to get rid of them, which he does by escorting them out of the building instead of killing them. (Lucky bastards!) But yeah, I literally almost had a panic attack trying to go up and down the stairs with this massive freaking spider on the wall. As soon as Dave’s parents came home from work, I brought it to their attention so they could remove it, which they did. Of course, Dave’s Dad had fun the rest of the night walking up the stairs and going “Oh hey, when did you get back there?” Trying to freak me out that the massive bugger was back! Ahh! But apart from that, my week was alright.[/stextbox]
[stextbox id=”kelley2″ caption=”Kelley” collapsing=”true”]So um… Hey… Hi guys. I uhhh… Well, I’ve sort of been recovering this week? I’m back on my meds, but they’re only mildly helping, which sucks. This week has been one of personal care (doctor appointments, hair/nails/eyebrows getting “done,” etc.) and remembering things. For some reason, I keep being reminded of stuff I wanted to do years ago, but haven’t done yet.
I remember when I was researching an epic blog post on the statistics of UFC fighters, the type of shorts they wear, and their performance.
— Oh, the Kelley! (@anovelread) August 14, 2014
Also, a lot of contemplation about about people, relationships, lives, deaths, and choices. (My friend’s cat went missing, my oldest living uncle died this week, all of the goings-on in Ferguson, personal goals and desires for my future, etc.) Oh, and I’ll be out of town for the next couple of days, so see you mid-week![/stextbox]
Elsewhere in the blogosphere
Tweet of the Week
I told Ferris Mewler to stop sitting in my chair. He's very deliberately NOT sitting in it. *sigh* pic.twitter.com/jr1hWNs79p
— TheBloggess (@TheBloggess) August 13, 2014
On Blogging and Book Reviewing
blogging tips & resources
- Amber lists four ways to spot an SEO scammer.
- These Paper Hearts shares how to add images to sidebar headings.
- Ashley explains how to add an ‘about the author’ box to posts.
- The Book Blogger UKYA Award nominations are open!
arcs, ratings, & reviews
- Ashley shares her thoughts on when it’s okay to start requesting ARCs.
- Shannon explains why she’s not reviewing self-published books.
- Ana talks about warnings in your review policy.
- Pam asks: do you rate books according to genre?
A blogger’s life
- Charlie shares her experiences with blog tours.
- Chrys laments the problems of an inactive book blogger.
- Ashley encourages bloggers to embrace your uniqueness!
- Rebecca talks about work/life balance, when you don’t feel like blogging.
- Bieke shares her thoughts on comments and commenting back.
- Jessica Nicole says she’s giving up on Jetpack.
- Emz wants to know which book cover you use for your posts.
- Nuz shares 20 truths from a part-time blogger.
- Rachel highlights ten things that make you look like a Twitter idiot.
- Meg shows off her favorite reaction gifs (which prompted Leanne to start her first gif collection ever).
- Janice offers advice on dealing with multiple drafts during revisions.
- EC Myers shares confessions of a male YA author.
- Chuck Wendig asks: what is an e-book worth?
- Marissa Meyer gives her best advice for aspiring writers.
- Bryon reveals 5 things you can learn from a freelance editor.
- Erin Bowman discusses 5 things she learned while writing a trilogy.
- Jodi Meadows explains what ferrets taught her about being a writer.
- Celeste Prater on how to come up with great sci-fi character names.
- Chuck Wendig explains How To Promote Yourself And Your Books On Social Media Without Feeling Like A Soul-Selling, Sleaze-Sucking Slime-Glob.
Things Bookworms Think About
A Reader’s Life
- Octavia talks about guilty pleasures.
- Rinn looks back on her bookish resolutions.
- Cait wants to know if you compare books by the same author.
- Rose and Julie ask: what book would you write yourself into?
- Renae muses about solitary reading vs. community reading.
- Sophie wonders if reading is a race to the finish.
- Marianne admits she dog-ears the pages in her books.
- Emily confesses she counts how many pages she has left of a book.
- GillyB talks about authors who can make you love books you normally wouldn’t love.
- Jessic asks: do you read more while on vacation?
- Rebecca discusses the agony of waiting.
- Cee shares her thoughts on the term “DNF”.
- Sarah discusses reading multiple books at once.
- Mariko talks about reading slumps.
- Trish wants to know: how many books is TOO many?
- Kristen discusses when your book pile is overwhelming.
- Miranda wants to know how you organize your bookshelves.
- Stephanie talks about two books in one binding.
- P.E. shares her bookish demands.
buying books & bookstores
- Lenore shares GIF reactions to crazy things she does in bookstores.
- Jamie says wandering a bookstore is the best medicine when she’s feeling down.
- Brittany tells us which novellas are worth your time (and money).
- Josephine shares her thoughts on bookstore shelving systems.
- Lillian admits she only buys pretty-covered books.
- Ellen shares her book-buying habits.
reading it again
- Kristin has declared this fall the season of rereading.
- Allie talks about books you USED to love.
- Charli discusses rereads that aren’t the same.
- Thuy shares her thoughts on rereading books.
- Here are 21 covers with gorgeous handwritten typography.
- Kristen talks about when book covers scare you.
- A massive collection of international Harry Potter covers.
- Debby admits she loves the ‘pretty dress’ covers.
inside the books
- Johannah discusses what makes a great romance.
- Laura talks about her favorite kind of ending.
- Karolina reflects on bad boy characters.
- Rinn shares some of her favorite fantasy characters.
- Sandra shares her thoughts on illustrations in books.
when it comes to series
- Sophie shares her survival guide for the end of series.
- Emz wants to know if you’ve only read part of a series.
- Ula rambles about biographies.
- Ryan explains why we buy into emotional dystopias.
- Hannah encourages you to find the right nonfiction for YOU.
- Yash talks about histories, stories, and the voices behind them.
- Jack explains why we keep retelling fairy tales.
audiobooks, ebooks, physical books
- Topaz asks: do you listen to audiobooks?
- Charli shares her new stance on hardbacks.
- Ellen talks about ebooks vs. traditional books.
- Kristilyn says when it comes to physical books, go big or go home.
Hot Topics (gender, sexism, rape, piracy)
- Topaz has some thoughts on “strong female characters”.
- Ceilidhann is tired of hearing about “historically accurate rape”.
- Patty Blount on researching rape culture for SOME BOYS.
- Johannah says piracy is a problem.
- Ashley discusses gender bias and sexism in relation to comics.
- Jessica Nicole asks: does your gender limit what you read?
- Louise rants about the negative connotations of fangirl.
- Kelly says girls ruin everything (apparently).
recommendations and lists
- Mitchii shares some of her favorite shoujo series.
- Miranda spotlights historical fiction books set in Post-War 1940s.
- Kim recommends Middle Grade Science Fiction.
- Cassie shares her recommendations for books set in boarding schools.
- Sana highlights Pakistani writers who primarily write in the English language.
- Jamie shares a bookish playlist for her favorite cities.
- Kayla shows off her synesthetic colors for Throne of Glass.
- Find out which books Harlequin recommends for your zodiac sign.
- Lucy sorts book characters into the different Hogwarts houses.
- Georgie pulls together a cover palette for Prudence.
- Jessica has created a wallpaper for The Geek’s Guide to Dating.
- Trish explains how to support friends through infertility issues.
- Rinn has some more thoughts on moving to the Netherlands.
Videos of the Week
- Book Nerd Problems: what happens if you disagree with your book BFF?
- This female superhero movie pitch is pretty awesome.
- Here’s a TED Talk about why penmanship is super awesome.
Question of the Week
Asti has a question in relation to a future post: What fears do you have when it comes to having a co-blogger/joining a group blog? Why do you think so many bloggers are hesitant to share a blog?
So, how was your week?