News & Updates at Oh, the Books!
In Case You Missed It
Here’s all the stuff that we posted this week.
- Kelley reviewed the audiobook for Unchanged by Jessica Brody.
- Kelley posted her next Tarot of YA Lit card: The High Priestess.
- Holly stopped by to explain why she guards her 5 stars.
- The Bookish Games: The Lunar Chronicles Edition ended.
Our Lives This Week
In Kelley’s Life…
This week has been full of networking and trying to figure out what to do with myself. It’s still just a really strange feeling to not have a job, and therefor not have money with which to… do anything. At least I have a cat to help me with the housework and friends to send me book mail!
Oh, and my husband has been teaching me boxing. He’s a really good teacher (and omg, he’s so good at everything, he makes it looks so easy!), which definitely helps. It’s empowering to learn how to handle myself in a fight — not that I ever really intend on being IN one.
Elsewhere in the blogosphere
Tweet of the Week
Why be outside sweating when there are books to be read?
— Johanne (@Johanne_4) August 11, 2015
On Blogging and Book Reviewing
- Val explains how to avoid the blogger burnout.
- I can’t believe I only have ONE blogging-related link to share this week! How crazy is that? Here is where you can really tell how dedicated Asti is to collecting discussion posts. I follow over 100 blogs but STILL, look how sparse my list of links is this week!
- JJ is talking all about blurbs.
- Here’s some inspiration from debut authors.
- Michelle Levy on empathy in creating characters.
- Julie talks about developing conflict that resonates.
- Chuck Wendig says it only gets harder once you’re published.
- Zoë Marriott explains dastardly tropes and what to do with them.
- Kristin says good agents are friendly with editors but not friends with editors.
Things Bookworms Think About
Life of a Bookworm
- Rebecca reminisces about her past TBR.
- Kayla discusses avoiding triggers in reading.
- Trish points out some common traits in bookworms.
- Rinn shares her thoughts on book to film adaptations.
- Sarah asks: does having a reading buddy improve the book?
Lists & Recommendations
- Brittany has a great list of time travel books.
- Renae recommends books by authors of color.
- Jaime makes some audiobook recommendations.
- Kim reveals six resources for finding great nonfiction.
- Adeline shares an Asian-American literature book list.
- Jason lists 5 books that dump you into a pit of despair.
- Caitlyn shares 5 Canadian books to look for in Fall 2015.
- Chuck Wendig lists 5 books that prove mankind shouldn’t play with technology.
- Quiz: which villain is your evil twin? (Kelley’s = Loki)
- Epic Reads has created the book nerd’s guide to New York City.
- Quiz: are you the killer, the victim, or the survivor? (Kelley = killer!)