News & Updates at Oh, the Books!
In Case You Missed It
Here’s all the stuff that we posted this week.
- Kelley reviewed the audibook of Rebel Spring by Morgan Rhodes.
- Kelley got excited about all the awesome coming in September.
- Kelley reviewed the audiobook of Gathering Darkness by Morgan Rhodes.
Our Lives This Week
In Kelley’s Life…
The best news of the week? I got a job offer! It’s the one I’ve been interviewing for, and hoping to get, so I’m pretty pleased that they wanted me! It’s not exactly a step *up* in my career, but I think it will be a nice change of pace from my previous work. So now I’m going through all of the onboarding procedures and getting things in order while I still have a few weeks of freedom!
In other news, the latest creature to grace our new home is a cricket, who seems to have moved into our air vents. I’ve named him Jiminy, and boy is he annoying! I also got together with some local ladies for a narcolepsy support group meeting, and it was *just* what I needed! Meeting new people, experiencing new places in Austin, and making new friends. Pretty nice week. :)
Elsewhere in the blogosphere
Tweet of the Week
me: hahahaha phone autocorrect: hahahahhahahahahhahahahahhahaha me: fine
— Maggie Stiefvater (@mstiefvater) August 26, 2015
On Blogging and Book Reviewing
- Sarah talks about real life vs. blogging.
- Rinn & Lisa announce Sci-Fi November 2015!!!
- Trish opens up with some book blogger confessions.
- Karolina talks about the struggle of finding time to blog.
- Brittany says blogging statistics = more than just followers.
- Jackie’s in blogging limbo, which is definitely different from a blogging slump.
Rating & Reviewing
- Becky needs to talk about ratings.
- Dana believes her reviews are way too long.
- Megz tries out a new review style using infographics.
- Chuck Wendig on his writing process.
- Zoë Marriott explains the cliché killer.
- Biljana talks about cheap villain killin’.
- In which Maggie Stiefvater is “unfair” to pantsers.
- Stacey and Stephanie discuss the index card of power.
- Chuck Wendig says he smells your rookie moves, new writers.
Things Bookworms Think About
- Anne asks: when do you use the library?
- Nikki wonders: how do you feel about excerpts?
- Rachel talks about moral ambiguity in YA fiction.
- Bridget says eating while reading is the ultimate pastime.
- Diana wants to talk about The Babysitter’s Club’s magical child-minding powers.
Lists & Recommendations
- Renae wants you to make her read it!
- Here: pick a dog, get a book recommendation!
- Jamie makes some book recs based on your mood.
- Patrick shares 5 sci-fi books that crank out the funny.
- Jackie lists 4 YA books where music was a prominent theme.
- Ilana discusses 4 classic children’s books that are pure magic.
- Hannah, Alexa, and Kelly recommend books set in World War II.
- Victoria Scott makes YA book recommendations for back to school.
- Quiz: which of the Six of Crows are you? (Kelley = Nina)
- Find out your Discworld name. (Kelley’s = Wee Mad Jock)
- Alex lists 10 signs you’ve found your book-nerd soul mate.
- Amy lists her top 5 fave Star Trek TNG Season 6 episodes.
- Kristen wants to talk about personal theme music.
- Meet Okilly Dokilly, a Ned Flanders-themed metal band…
Videos of the Week
- Book Nerd Problems: box sets are actually the worst.
- This multi-generational Star Trek fan-made music video is pretty great.