News & Updates at Oh, the Books!
The giveaway has finally ended and as you’re reading this, all the lovely prizes are likely already on their way to all the lovely winners.
- Johannah won an ARC of Otherbound
- Monica won an ARC of Hungry
- Valerie won an ARC of Carrier of the Mark
- Christy won an ARC of Sublime
- Liza won an ARC of Everneath
- Melissa won an ARC of Mouseheart
- Alyssa won an ARC of Fan Art
- Jackie won an ARC of The Shadow Prince
Congratulations, ladies! I hope your prizes arrive swiftly!
In Case You Missed It
Here’s all the stuff that we posted this week.
- Kelley reviewed Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld.
- Asti reviewed The Diviners by Libba Bray.
- Kelley checked in on her reading progress.
- Asti completed Jamie’s End of Year Survey for 2014.
- We shared our survey results and plans for 2015.
- The Bookish Games: Ready Player Two edition ended.
We also created a mailing list to notify interested parties of upcoming Bookish Games! If want to be emailed when the sign ups for the next Bookish Games occur, check out the Bookish Games: Ready Player Two Game Over post and enter you’re email in the form at the bottom of the post.
Our Lives This Week
In Asti’s Life…
Well, hello 2015, you evil, evil year that I want nothing to do with.
I don’t know about the rest of you crazy kids, but I welcomed 2015 by sleeping right through it. I had plans on staying up, I did, but it wasn’t meant to be. I really am just an old, tired adult who can’t be bothered these days, especially when so many things are currently blowing up in my life.
I did start my personal blog, Oh, Asti!, this week and I have to admit I’m really optimistic about it. I’m hoping it’ll be a therapeutic outlet for me this year, that it will help me work my way through this difficult time in my life as journaling did during my last major bout of depression. I will warn anyone who is thinking about checking it out: it is completely up close and personal. While here I try to be an upbeat and positive person, there I am going to let all of my sides show. It’s still going to be somewhat filtered, as it is public and I don’t want it causing problems in my life, but it’s going to be as real as I can let it be. You’ve been warned.
So yes, let’s hope 2015 surpasses all expectations and is a better year than expected. Happy New Year.
In Kelley’s Life…
This week was long and kinda weird. We didn’t get home from visiting the in-laws until Tuesday, so the beginning of my week was spent hanging out with them, eating food and playing with cats and learning how to use my husband’s new GoPro! We had a really great visit with them, but it was also really nice to finally get home again… and my cat had a few things to say about our long absence. It even took Squeakers a few days to believe that I’d actually come back home! I missed the outside kitties!
The next few days were spent catching up on everything I didn’t get to do while I was away from home and computers and internet. Well, I was TRYING to catch up on those things, but all my cat would let me do was sit on the couch and pet her. Arrrgh. I went in to work on Friday, which was kind of weird, but I found a little pile of presents on my desk, so that was lovely. I’m still freaking out a bit about it being 2015 and all of the big changes headed my way this year, but… I’m trying not to let it stress me out too much. Deep breaths, Kelley… deep breaths…
Elsewhere in the blogosphere
Tweet of the Week
It just occurred to me that I willingly pay $18 for a book, but I often blanch at the idea of spending more than $15 on groceries.
— Emma (@AwkwordlyEmma) December 25, 2014
On Blogging and Book Reviewing
- Helen looks at the changes this past year has made for her blogging.
- Stormy has (unintentionally) stopped giving books one star.
- Emily shares what tool she uses to make her blog graphics.
- Beth has made a glossary for book blogging terms.
- Rachel says it’s time for some spring cleaning.
- Crini has created an ARC-tracking spreadsheet.
- Rachel encourages bloggers to get commenting.
- Mark explains the truth about social media reach.
- Ashley is giving away a WordPress Theme for the New Year.
- Sandra talks about writing the content you are proud of.
- Brittany shares five reasons bloggers should care about email marketing.
On Writing & Publishing
- Chuck Wendig has a 2015 resolution for writers.
- Jeanne shares some things we can do better in 2015.
- Sarah Rees Brennan on fandoms and a writer’s routine.
- Jackie has a compendium of posts for the weary writer.
- Chuck Wendig shares his 2015 writing & publishing wishlist.
- Ceilidhann wonders if big money advances are really worth it.
- Maggie Stiefvater posted another critique partner love connection.
- Drew explains how replaying movies helps writers go behind the scenes.
Things Bookworms Think About
A reader’s Life
- Amy wants to discuss favorite authors.
- Kel shares her thoughts on book trivia.
- Cait asks: do you read chapter samplers?
- Kayla observes her seasonal reading habits.
- Laura talks about what makes a character believable.
- Lori shares her thoughts on finishing and not finishing books.
- Jamie isn’t sure she wants to participate in the Goodreads challenge.
ebooks and physical books
- Ceilidhann says yes, ebooks are real books.
- Marianne compares paperbacks and hardbacks.
- Jackie is scared to break the spine of her new HP set.
- Jo talks about how having an e-reader has changed her reading habits.
different types of stories
- Valeria talks about the importance of fluffy reads.
- Nicolette has put together a chronology of apocalyptic fiction.
- Charlene highlights her favorite and not-so-favorite genres.
- Kristen keeps being disappointed by alternate universe books.
- Emz asks: do you read anthologies?
buying and borrowing books
Lists and recommendations
- Brittany suggests eight books to read if you liked Divergent.
- Shannon lists books to read before they hit the screen in 2015.
- Leah recommends 13 optimistic fantasy novels.
- Isaac discusses how the map for The Emperor’s Blades was made.
- Nafiza interviews cover artist Yuko Shimizu.
- Christy and Erica challenge you to figure out which books these pages belong to.
- Jessica created a downloadable wallpaper for The Kiss of Deception.
- Ren recounts her experience as a temporary bookseller.
- Kayla shares the colors she associates with Jessi Kirby’s books.
- Epic Reads made an infographic for 2015: 365 days of YA!
- Kelly’s got a new cover guessing game.
- Bekka shares her 2015 New Year Bookish Bingo card.
- Kritika created a sci-fi/fantasy book bingo card for 2015.
- Val explains how he crafted that amazing Shardblade for Brandon Sanderson!
- Here’s, um, Spock riding a unicorn pegasus?
- Vsauce wonders: is cereal soup? Or something else?
- Hayley says there are way too many ‘best of 2014’ lists.
- John Green talks some numbers & sense about racism.
- Katy explains the difference between ‘transgender’ and ‘transgendered’.
*NOTE: We did not include many new year’s posts (top books, resolutions, recaps, etc.) because practically everyone has done one and they’re a bit repetitive linking wise! Next week we should be back to our full list of links! :)
So, how was your week?