News & Updates at Oh, the Books!
IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: TWO-WEEK HIATUS
Oh, the Books! is going on a hiatus. For the next two weeks, there will be no posts, tweets, or activity from the Oh, the Books! team (apart from some comment replies). Both Kelley and Asti are struggling finding the motivation to blog as a result of some big life changes, and just need a little time away to rejuvenate. Don’t worry though, we plan on coming back. Our next post will be on Monday, March 2nd! See you then. :)
In Case You Missed It
Here’s all the stuff that we posted this week.
- Kelley reviewed The Retribution of Mara Dyer audiobook.
- Asti shared her blog tour survey results.
- Kelley and her sister exchanged bookish dares.
- Asti reviewed Crown of Midnight.
- Our Bookish Guide featured a heart-shaped box of YA romance.
Our Lives This Week
In Asti’s Life…
In case you haven’t noticed, I have sort of been MIA these past two weeks. I’ve moved home and I’m just feeling like… shit. As always with depression, it just feels like every single thing is going wrong and it’s hard to think things can get better. I have no motivation to do the things I love to do, and I feel myself withdrawing from others as I struggle with so much negativity in my mind. As a result, I haven’t touched this blog at all these past two weeks, (and have barely touched my personal one,) leaving poor Kelley to message me every once in a while to see if I’m still planning on contributing to things like the Weekly Recap or running our social media accounts. It’s horrible.
Fortunately (or not so fortunately, because it means Kelley’s been having a rough time too), we’ve decided to have a little hiatus which means for the next two weeks I can do what I’m doing without the guilt that has accompanied my slacking. (Because really, feeling like crap and then feeling guilty for feeling like crap only leads to more crap feelings!)
Hopefully when the hiatus is over, I’ll be feeling rejuvenated and ready to kick ass once again. I’m not completely convinced that will be the case (because Dave leaves me on the last day of February, which means I’ll have a whole new set of negative emotions thrust upon me), but I’m going to do what I can. In the meantime, I appreciate everyone’s love and support. This community is the best, and I miss being more involved with it. <3
In Kelley’s Life…
I spent every available moment with my husband, until he left on Thursday. Since then, I’ve spent every waking moment trying not to collapse into a puddle of tears. If the list of links is suspiciously short this week, it’s because I didn’t get around to adding mine. And if I’m suspiciously absent over the next two weeks, well… try not to hold it against me? I’m barely holding myself together right now.
Elsewhere in the blogosphere
On Blogging and Book Reviewing
Blogging Tips and Resources
- Inge shares what she likes to read on blogs.
- Rachel discusses the best free blogging tools.
- Stephanie talks about WordPress starter themes.
- Ashley walks you through adding a favicon to a blog.
- Julie highlights her top ten favorite WordPress plugins.
- Amir welcomes bloggers to share their tips on juggling.
- Brittany shares five editorial calendar tools worth trying.
- Brittany provides three tips for sticking to a blogging schedule.
- Ana talks about her preferred way of conducting interviews on her blog.
- Beth explains how to add a responsive menu to Blogger using CSS Menu Maker.
- Britt shares advice for new bloggers and bloggers who are unsure of what to do.
Rating, Reviewing, and ARCs
- Amanda shares her thoughts on ARCs and obligations.
- Jessi says don’t be afraid to be yourself in YOUR reviews.
- Lili advises bloggers on writing the perfect request email.
- Lara surveys readers: are GIFs unprofessional or annoying?
- Kim discusses a classic Netgalley mistake: requesting too many books.
A Blogger’s Life
- Lola talks about commenting back.
- Shannelle hates replying to comments.
- Nova asks: have I just been plagiarized?
- Kat recaps the daily life of a book blogger.
- Rachel shares her experience with plagiarism.
- Nereyda asks: do bloggers have too much power?
- Sunny wonders: does posterity matter in blogging?
- Genevieve confesses: she doesn’t proofread (much).
- Charlotte wants to know how you share your blog posts.
- Laura talks about the pros and cons of blogging for introverts.
- Laura gets annoyed by “?from_search=true” in Goodreads links.
- Celine highlights the five stages of not knowing what to blog about today.
- Anya asks herself: does that add to the community you’re trying to make?
Things Bookworms Think About
A Reader’s Life
- Erika writes in defense of escapism.
- Carmel asks: are you a seasonal reader?
- Nicole talks about why she loves the library.
- Mel discusses giving books a second chance.
- Sydney shares her experiences as a bookseller.
- Tabitha goes over the dangers of lending books.
- Julie and Lynn talk about time limits for spoilers.
- Nemo uses Goodreads to organize her TBR books.
- Regina explains how to overcome a reading slump.
- Sierra wants to know: what kind of reader are you?
- Mishma explains how reading has changed her life.
- Trish reflects on the beginning of her bookworm ways.
- Regina discusses the correct way to read a fiction book.
- Cyn talks about buying multiple copies of the same book.
- Lina wonders: what did bookworms do BEFORE blogging?
- Rachel shares some of the strange things book addicts do.
- Beth discusses her steamy love affair with Goodreads groups.
- Allie wants to know if you can multitask while listening to audiobooks.
What and Where We Read
- Jillian shares her reading spaces.
- Kristen asks: where do you like to read?
- Octavia says it loud: she loves YA fiction!
- Josephine talks about reading on the go.
- Deanna shares why she loves historical fiction.
- Kat discusses her secret affair with graphic novels.
- Stefani explains why she doesn’t like historical fiction.
Inside the Books
- Amanda discusses love triangles.
- Jeann shares her negative book triggers.
- Cait asks: do all books NEED conclusions?
- Timon has a rule for horror: satisfying endings.
- Cristina talks about oppressive YA relationships.
- Lauren likes to read books on “death” and “grief”.
- Natalie lists things that help her relate to characters.
- Faye wonders: would you take on the responsibility of saving the world?
Outside the Books
- Alyssa shares her least favorite covers of 2014.
- Chantelle wants to know if you love or hate faces on book covers.
Ships and Book Boyfriends
- Shannon shares her favorite ships.
- Faye shares her thoughts on book boyfriends.
- Cristina highlights her favorite fictional couples.
- Emz discusses the problems with shipping characters.
- Melanie lists sixteen signs that you’re more obsessed with your OTP than your own life.
- Renae celebrates singletude.
- Emily lists her favorite YA couples.
- Tessa lists some Valentine’s Day reads.
- Tracy shares reads for the anti-Valentine.
- Stacie recommends books for Valentine’s Day.
- Rachel highlights books featuring friends as soulmates.
- Hazel features a variety of Valentine’s Day Cards for book nerds.
- Erika shares romantic books for people who don’t like romance.
- Take Briana’s quiz: what literary love story are you destined to have?
- Erica and Christy share love stories they have out for Valentine’s Day.
- Joy lists twelve book boyfriends you should date this Valentine’s Day.
- Megan created a quiz to help determine who is your fictional boyfriend.
- Brittany shares books featuring the best-friend-turned-boyfriend romance.
- Marianne highlights books to read to forget you’re single on Valentine’s Day.
- Rachel and Alexa spotlight their favorite romantic quotes, fictional couples, and love songs.
Lists and Recommendations
- Renae recommends trilogies.
- Amber lists books that should be adapted.
- Lucy shares some of her favorite YA dystopias.
- Stormy highlights characters who have tough luck.
- Emz recommends books for those who liked If I Stay.
- Valeria spotlights girls she would be friends with (if they were real).
- Liza (and other bloggers) highlights the best steampunk book they’ve ever read.
- Cee and Charlotte celebrate Galentine’s Day by highlighting kick ass female characters.
- Nicolette shares images of wooden book sculptures (so cool)!
- Hafsah created a free downloadable wallpaper for The Bone Season.
So, how was your week?