News & Updates at Oh, the Books!
TODAY IS THE LAST DAY OF KELLEY’S HIATUS!! YAYYYYYYY!!!!
If you couldn’t tell, I’m super excited that she’s finally coming back. Not because I couldn’t handle the blog on my own (I think I did okay, right? ;)), but because she’s one of my best bookish friends and having her gone just made me realize how much I appreciate her partnership when it comes to this little baby of ours. I need her here for my sanity! COME BACK TO ME KELLEY! D:
So yes, please help me in giving Kelley a warm welcome back this week so she knows how much she’s been missed. :)
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Here’s the posts I published this week, like the little champ I am.
- Bookish Life: A Bookish Introduction*
- Bookish WWAD: If Asti were in Shiver
- Bookish Thoughts: Sorry Supernatural Sexymen*
- Bookish Games: Lunar Chronicles Edition Day Six
*These posts include videos from my new channel.
OUR LIVES THIS WEEK
In Asti’s Life…
I’m actually exhausted from this week! Between starting the Booktube endeavor, working full-time, and managing the blog on my own… well, I just want to lay in bed and sleep for the next week straight. It’s all so much! Why do I always try to stretch myself so thin?
I am enjoying it all though! I’m feeling good about the temporary promotion so far (I’ll feel even better once I get my first check from it!), I’m having fun trying to figure out the YouTube thing (though it’s so weird having to start all over on a platform again after getting used to having three years of content/followers to support me on here), and I’m feeling pretty good about what I’m doing blogging-wise (though the commenting thing is a continual work-in-progress for me as I feel like I’ll NEVER catch up).
So yes, super exhausted by it all but fairly content. I don’t think I can complain too much. ;)
Elsewhere in the blogosphere
ON BLOGGING AND BOOK REVIEWING
All Things BLOGGING
- Hazel says blog design matters.
- Keionda shares what she blogs for.
- Rinn reflects on what blogging has done for her.
- Ashley says WordPress Frameworks are a crutch.
- Rita shares some suggestions for naming your blog.
- Sam talks about the clash of blogging and summer.
- Amber shares her top ten blogging-related moments.
- Tiffany discusses the importance of an amazing design.
- Nova highlights possible mistakes of a beginner blogger.
- Claire shares six book blogging lessons moving reinforces.
- Rachel provides a five step guide on how to fail at blogging.
- Stephanie helps with coding a Blogger customized archive gadget.
- Cristina wants to know: why is an extensive vocabulary so intimidating?
- Harvey explains how to add social media icons to your blog with Font Awesome.
Following And Commenting
- Cait asks: how much disagreement IS welcome?
- Cait wants to know: when do you unfollow blogs?
- Rita explains how to quickly empty your feed reader.
- Jen looks at the pros and cons of six commenting systems.
- Becky says she’s fallen behind in her blog reading and that’s okay.
- Jessica explains how she used freebies to boost her email subscribers.
- Daisy asks: does commenting back affect your blog-visiting experience?
RATING, Reviewing, and ARCs
- Liza asks: what’s in a review?
- Bieke says ratings mean little to her.
- Jeann shares her thoughts on the three-star debacle.
- Ana highlights what grabs her attention when it comes to ARCs.
THINGS BOOKWORMS THINK ABOUT
A BOOKWORM’S LIFE
- Joy is a lonely reader.
- Nick talks about book shaming.
- Bekka identifies as a gut-reader.
- Emma takes a look at title trends.
- Beks share her bookish bucket list.
- Quinn suffers from reading anxiety.
- Charleen discusses library logistics.
- Joséphine shares her thoughts on Zinio.
- Emma discusses when a book is just “ok”.
- Heidi talks about being the odd reader out.
- Inge says cats and books are a great combo.
- Tracy talks about her book buying conundrum.
- Julie shares ten reasons she can’t read and is dying inside.
- Iris discusses reading about something vs. experiencing it.
- Jessica asks: what’s up with books releasing on Tuesdays?
- Laura Ashlee talks about falling out of love during a re-read.
- Nitzan wants to know: do you read books you know you’re going to hate?
- Shannon explains why she MUST take her books with her when she moves to NY.
- Shannon asks: do you think publishers correctly interpret what we want to read?
TBRs and Discovering Books
- Katie is cutting down her TBR.
- Jessica lists twelve ways to discover new books.
- Melissa talks about TBRs and how we organize them.
Reading Schedules, Marathons, and Read-a-Thons
- Beth looks at the pros and cons of a reading marathon.
- Allie wonders: are schedules sucking the fun out of reading?
Reading Blind or Spoiled
- Brittany discusses going in blind.
- Bec says she’s not a peeping tom.
- Lisa and Becca share their thoughts on spoilers.
- Chantelle talks about reading the ending of a book first.
Book Hangovers and Reading Slumps
- Tina talks about book hangovers.
- Kristin highlights the stages of a reading slump in GIFs.
- Lily shares her two options when it comes to reading slumps.
- Gilly shares what she tries to do to jumpstart her brain into reading mode.
Inside the Books
- Inge talks about villains.
- Val asks: do ending mean a lot to you?
- C.J. investigates love triangle cop-outs.
- Stephanie discusses picking the wrong ship.
- Chiara talks about the importance of continuity.
- Jen discusses instalove and why it ruins everything.
- Kayla is in denial when it comes to character deaths.
- Kailia has noticed we’re missing menstrual cycles in books.
- Lola shares her thoughts on what makes a good book ending.
- Genevieve highlights friendships that she thinks deserves more attention.
- Otakutwins Reviews wants to know: do you prefer incredible writing or a great story?
Different Types of Stories
- Kaja shares her thoughts on fan fic.
- Laura Ashlee discusses manga: comics for all.
- The bloggers at Socratic Salon talk about reading inside or outside the box.
- Shaina refuses to listen to audiobooks.
- Tonyalee shares her thoughts on physical books vs. audiobooks.
Series and Sequels
- Karma shares her thoughts on book sequels.
- Emily talks about the problem with series: book amnesia.
- Rebecca discusses her love-hate relationship with series and why it’s time for a break-up.
- Laura explains how she feels about diverse books.
- Nova discusses the representation of culture in YA.
- Nicole shares her thoughts on diverse authors in your favorite genres.
Lists and Recs
- Jamie has some recommendations based on moods.
- Faye shares her top five contemporaries of 2015 (so far).
- Faye highlights her top five book boyfriends of 2015 (so far).
- Brittany shares twelve books to read if you liked Harry Potter.
- Once Upon a Dream Books features best television show adaptations from books.
How Was Your Week?