News & Updates at Oh, the Books!
Last week was full of giveaways (okay, two) on the blog, and it’s time to announce the winners!
- Raquel won a hardcover for Dissonance by Erica O’Rourke
- Charli won a printed copy of Parajunkee’s Book Blogging Journal
Congratulations, ladies! We hope you enjoy your lovely prizes!
In Case You Missed It
Here’s all the stuff that we posted this week.
- Kelley explored tarot with The Bone Season.
- Asti reviewed Glaze by Kim Curran.
- Leanne discussed Ready Player One: Escapism vs. Finding a Home.
- Kelley reviewed The Glass Sentence by S. E. Grove.
- Our Steampunk Bookish Guide arrived.
- Asti questioned whether you really know her.
- Becky stopped by to ask if reading too much is a bad thing.
- Day Four of The Bookish Games Death Note Edition began.
Our Lives This Week
[stextbox id=”asti2″ caption=”Asti” collapsing=”true”]Oh, book blogosphere. I’ve been in a very bad place this week. No, nothing’s really gone horribly wrong. My mind has just decided to think about all the things. Between living with Dave’s family and not sure what my future is going to bring and dealing with the heat and trying to keep on top of the blog and dissertation… I don’t know. It’s like Wednesday night I woke up at 2am and just had to cry. I ended up watching YouTube videos mindlessly for three hours until I could manage to get back to sleep. Ugh. I’m just in one of those funks, you know?
But hey, I guess things aren’t all that bad. I’m still having fun making a fool out of myself with Just Dance 2014, and Bookstagram always make me smile. Plus, there’s a chance my parents may be able to come visit me here in London in the near future, so if I can just keep it together until then, I know things will be good. I really miss them! So yeah. :/[/stextbox]
[stextbox id=”kelley2″ caption=”Kelley” collapsing=”true”]To be quite frank, friends, I barely even remember the past week, so I’m going to go with my old method of telling you how it went in tweets:
Woke up to find my husband had finished Words of Radiance and was already 50 pages into Vicious! <3
— Oh, the Kelley! (@anovelread) July 25, 2014
Oh my god, I just realized I was drooling at my desk, mid-task. #narcolepsyproblems x_x
— Oh, the Kelley! (@anovelread) July 25, 2014
Just woke up from a nap and now I'm eating (alone) at a restaurant that only serves macaroni and cheese. My Friday evening, friends.
— Oh, the Kelley! (@anovelread) July 26, 2014
Elsewhere in the blogosphere
Tweet of the Week
maybe I'll make a game about a ninja lady who has huge boobs and has to try and realistically deal with that while doing her job
— Zoë ʻ3DO Buttʼ Quinn (@TheQuinnspiracy) July 22, 2014
On Blogging and Book Reviewing
tips and resources
- Stephanie talks about the read more link.
- Ashley shares 37 fonts she loves.
- Stephanie explains how to do summary/snippet posts for Blogger.
- Ashley says to be selective with your plug-ins.
- Ali explains how to comment on blogs the right way.
- BookLikes unveils their re-read feature (in your FACE, Goodreads?!)
arcs, ratings, and reviews
- Kim explains why she typically doesn’t request ARCs.
- Betty wants to know if reading pace affects your rating of a book.
- Rebecca ponders reading\reviewing books months before release.
- Tabitha discusses ARCs and what to do with them when done.
- Amy shares her issue with Amazon and Goodreads reviews.
- Annie explains how negative reviewers affect her TBR.
- Stephanie asks: do you accept review requests?
- Miranda wants to know if you have a review style.
- Finley Jane shares her thoughts on the Blogging for Books program.
- Carrie asks: who are book reviews for?
a blogger’s life
- Rachel says to blog your way.
- Angela asks: are you part of the blogging community?
- Laura Ashlee explains why she is done with blog tours.
- Stephanie shares what she did when she started blogging.
- Laura talks about discussion posts and topic repetition.
- Rachel dishes junk on book blogger problems.
- Dana admits she’s addicted to Bookstagram.
- Jeann shares what she’s learned from 2 years of blogging.
- Kristilyn wonders want happened to originality in blogging.
- Rosie talks about how blogging has affected her reading habits.
- Cait asks: are short comments okay?
- Jessica says to let your mind go.
- Hazel is taking on the big blog exchange – help her win by voting!
- Abria explains why guest posting is best for authors.
- Mindy McGinnis shares little things that make world building work.
- Max Gladstone says first drafts suck.
- Janice asks if your scenes are causing an effect.
- Amy shares her writing process.
- Jen Malone on submission and the waiting part.
Things Bookworms Think About
a reader’s life
- Hannah talks about shouting about books or keeping them a secret.
- Gilly B associates books with the time and place she read them.
- Kimba asks: do we demand more from our books than reality?
- Brittany discusses diversifying reading vs. being a diverse reader.
- P.E. Mari talks about the siren’s call of books.
- Jessica shares her book phobias.
- Kel discusses books at the beach.
- Cass pairs books with places.
- Jamie wants to know how you define a spoiler.
- Mel talks about spoilers in comments.
reading slumps and dnfs
- Kaitlin shares seven ways to cure that dreaded reading slump.
- Olivia announces that she’s a reading slump pre-empterer.
- Alicia says she’s in a book slump and YA isn’t her favorite anymore.
- Katelynn discusses not finishing what you started.
- Marisa talks about her DNF dilemma.
- Pamela shares her thoughts on descriptive scenes.
- Megan admits she’s kind of tired of happy endings.
- Carmel asks: does reading romance make you question whether you’re normal?
- Ana talks about what she likes and dislikes about dual plot lines.
- Jonetta wonders when you draw the line and declare a heroine TSTL.
- Faye asks: would you sacrifice a loved one for the greater good?
- Ruby discusses killing off characters and why it’s not a bad thing.
- Anne wants to know if predictability makes you lose interest.
- Lina thinks about why authors use love triangles.
- Marianne asks: do you need a Happily Ever After in books?
- Edward discusses illustrating the impossible.
- Anne wonders if predictability makes you lose interest.
- Nafiza rants about false advertising.
different types of books
- Terri confesses: she hates anthologies.
- Josephine shares her thoughts on audiobooks.
- Sophie explains why she doesn’t read fan fiction.
- Mariko wants to know what you think about audiobooks.
- Alyssa asks: what makes a classic?
- Rinn shares the results of her book buying survey.
- Emz asks: where do you get your books?
- Shannelle says books are cheaper in the Philippines.
- Kat talks about hopeless book buying.
recommendations and lists
- Cassie recommends books involving teenage pregnancy.
- Rinn introduces video game series and novelizations.
- Laura shares her five secretly DNFed books.
- Nara breaks down her favorites of 2014 so far.
- Lori shares books she own but will never read.
- Steph gives us five reasons why Twilight isn’t completely awful.
- Brittany highlights cute contemporaries for summer.
- Lina shares ten books to read if you’re new to (modern) classics.
- Alex recommends some book-to-film adaptations.
- Leah helps us circumnavigate the world through genre.
- Dana shares 7 reasons why she loves Fullmetal Alchemist.
- Ashley shares her thoughts on bookish shame.
- Meg talks about the necessity of sex positive YA.
- Michelle discusses POC Diversity on covers in 2014.
- Hannah shares her thoughts on Fifty Shades of Book Shaming.
- Chuck Wendig talks about gender flips.
- Abria explains why she writes about disability.
- Kelly defines “debut” in young adult novels.
- Shae encourages book shaming.
- Georgie shares her pre made book template.
- Cayce made a YA QUILTBAG rainbow out of books she hasn’t read.
- Georgie created a cover palette for A Thousand Pieces of You.
- Cassie pairs Elderflower Champagne with The One.
- Can you identify these international covers?
- Kayla shares her synesthetic colors for The Winner’s Curse.
- These faux Harry Potter covers are pretty hilarious.
- Which female Harry Potter character are you? (Kelley is Professor McGonogall — aka a “raging badass” – SUCK IT.)
- Check out these awesome Sherlock-inspired dresses!
- Amy shares her top 5 Star Trek TOS episodes.
- Which 90s TV detective are you? (Kelley is agent Scully!)
- “The Fasinatng … Frustrating … Fascinating History of Autocorrect.”
- Dive into a black hole with this infographic.
- Anne has some thoughts about this “how bitchy are you?” quiz. (Kelley is 47% bitch, apparently.)
Videos of the Week
- Kat makes some shameful confessions.
- Which fictional characters would you date?
- Apparently you can learn to play instruments from books.
- How about an extended clip of Guardians of the Galaxy?
- Nathan Fillion as Captain Kirk?!
- Here’s the first gameplay trailer for Firefly online!
- SDCC brought us some sneak peeks of Adventure Time season 7!
- And the first trailer for Outlander is here!
- Do YOU use the word ‘random’ incorrectly?
- This TUSK movie looks just… effing… weird.
So, how was your week?